Holiday Safety

Holiday SafetySelecting a Christmas tree:

When purchasing an artificial tree, look for the term “Flame Resistant” on the label. If you choose to purchase a live tree instead, look for fresh, green needles that are difficult to pull from branches and ones that don’t snap when bent between your fingers. Once you get the tree in the house, be sure to keep it well watered and keep it away from radiators and fireplaces.

Christmas lights:

For indoor and outdoor decorating, only use lights that have been tested in a laboratory that explicitly indicate the safety standards on the packaging. Fasten lights securely to trees, house walls or other firm supports to prevent wind damage. Be sure to turn off all holiday lights when you go to bed or leave the house. In addition to saving money on your electric bill, you reduce the chance that the lights could short out and cause a fire.


Candles should never be left unattended. If you use candles in your holiday decorating, consider using battery operated ones. If you want to use the real thing, keep burning candles within sight and extinguish them when you leave a room or head out of the house. Never place burning candles near anything flammable.


If you have small children at home, avoid decorations that are sharp or breakable or ones that resemble candy or food that may tempt a child to eat them.