The Virginia State Police issued a warning this month, reminding drivers to get plenty of rest before hitting the road. After several accidents this summer involving driver fatigue the police issued the following traveling tips to help keep you and other travelers safe.
- Get a full night's sleep before traveling.
- If possible, do not travel alone.
- Take frequent breaks by stopping at a rest area, gas station, or restaurant.
- Caffine and Energy Drinks provide a quick, but short-lived improvement.
- If you are taking any medication, check whether it causes drowsiness.
- Don't drink and drive.
- Call your friends and family during your stops to let them know you stopped to rest.
You can read more details about these driving tips and accidents that have occured on the State Police Facebook page.